Monday, January 5, 2009

Starting with the Edge Pieces...

Okay, so I'm reading in Genesis. Now wait, don't think I'm going to try reading the Bible from cover to cover. I think I would give up too soon for sure!!

Instead, I used the gift certificate I received for my birthday to buy a 365 day devotion that was totally Bible based; rather than what I usually gravitate toward. I usually like to get stuff by Max Lucado or Beth Moore or Randy Alcorn or... And, don't get me wrong, those writers are AWESOME! I just felt God reminding me that the "edge pieces" were His Word-not other popular people's opinion of His Word.

But that felt overwhelming. Why does doing the right thing the way it should be done always feel overwhelming? More on that later.

So, I persevered through the feeling of being overwhelmed and looked for a solution. And that's when I found a simple devotional book that presents scripture and then asks riveting questions.

I read the creation story. I was enjoying the whole thing until my heart stumbled upon this phrase: "God rested". I suddenly realized that I had never comprehended the idea of GOD, the ONE who knows all, created all, present now, present in the past, present in the forever future...resting. I still can't wrap my little pea-sized brain around God resting. Setting a forever example for us workaholics and do-do addicted people, He rested. What does the picture of God resting look like? I shouldn't be so surprised that I can't imagine this: it's taken me years to learn to rest. For years, I would try to rest only to find myself anxiously thinking about what I SHOULD be doing instead of resting. I felt guilty for resting.

God rests. God works and God rests. The edges are coming together....

Now, if I could just NOT feel overwhelmed about a little exercise here and there.....

No comments: