Monday, July 21, 2008

The Evil of Beds that are Made Every Morning

Catchy title? I couldn't resist!!

After being encouraged (arm-twisting included) to start blogging; I'm realizing this is more of an art than a science. I'm feeling like a stranger in a strange land, for sure!!

So, after some eye-rolls and comments regarding the last post, I absolutely MUST qualify my comments.

Here it is: I do NOT think there's anything wrong with making the beds. As a matter of fact, I absolutely love it when the beds are made. Even better when there're clean sheets waiting underneath!!

The reason I used that example, however, is I've found that EVERYWHERE in life (it seems) are things we love for earthly reasons that take our attentions away from what God loves and, therefore, what He wants us to love.

What I know is this: Without Christ, I'm hideous.

And, when I found myself "barking" at my family in an attempt to get the house looking like the magazines...I realized an important truth about myself: Sometimes, in my hideousness, I momentarily forget about the preciousness of God's greatest love: His people. And in my impossible quest to be found perfect (or clever, or cute, or organized, or whatever) in the eyes of those who I admire, I miss the most important truth:

God created me to love. And I'm 100% sure that he created you to love, too. I know this because His word says so. Check out 1John 3:23.

So, when I get caught-up chasing something that the world says is SUPER-FANTASTIC and, in order to attain it, I try to steam-roller over people (especially my precious family), I hear the gentle whisper asking me to re-evaluate.

I share this here because God has given me a heart that hurts for those who continue to fish for that SUPER-FANTASTIC whopper of a lie (whatever the world has convinced them to admire) because I watch as they fish and fish...but the hook always surfaces empty and the cry of their heart is that their time feels wasted and lost.

If I have to choose between a perfect-looking house and a joyful-relaxed ease with the people God has placed around me...until I can manage to have both, I'll choose joy.

No comments: