Friday, July 11, 2008

Right as a Verb?

Welcome to my new blog! I clearly felt led to create it this morning during my quiet time. Felt confirmed in doing it at small group this evening. Let's see what happens!!

Right as a Verb

In my "black and white" life, I've always thought of right being the opposite of wrong. There's wrong and there's right. Right?

This morning, I awoke determined to find the verse, "Let's enter His gates with thanksgiving". I found it (thank you Biblegateway.com) in Psalm 100. After reading it, and writing it as a first-person prayer in my journal, my mind focused on another verse. In a traditional celebration of communion I enjoy, the words are said,

"It is right to give our thanks and praise"

But then I had a moment of clarity where I felt the Lord speaking SO clearly to me and challenging me (as He always does) to think differently about His intentions.

When attending (not enjoying) communion in my twenties, I heard this phrase and thought, "Yes, it's the correct thing to do to be thankful and praise filled."

But this morning, I felt challenged to think of 'right' as verb, instead of an adjective.

Instead of RIGHT adjective; in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct.

I was to think of RIGHT verb; to put in proper order, condition, or relationship: to right a crookedly hung picture.

Taken directly from my quiet time journal: For me, suddenly, this morning "right" does not mean doing the proper thing--it means the verb "to right" like taking something that's fallen down and righting it. Suddenly I see a picture of a piece of art hanging crooked on the wall and a Sure and Gentle Hand carefully adjusting it until it sits straight again.

So, when I REthink "It is right to give our thanks and praise" I don't hear a bit of condemnation. Instead I hear: "When we give thanks and praise we feel the Master's hand gently adjusting us until our paths are straight and our relationships are in proper order with Him."

1 comment:

Swan Man said...

How cool is that? I get to be the first to comment!

You are so RIGHT! God is good, all the time!